Okay, so if you can't make it to our traveling handmade boutique, don't miss Patchwork (see flyer above). It's in the OC, but worth the drive. Some of our favorite people will be there like All'Aboard Boutique (they used to share our space in Echo Park). They will be there with all the amazing handmade gift items they are known for. Check out their website for a little taste of what they do, http://www.allaboardboutique.com/. Another booth to put on your list is definitely TheOutfit. They carry all handmade baby and kids clothing, gifts, toys and more, designed and created by moms. TheOutfitKids.blogspot.com.
So now I'm going to get on my soapbox for a moment. We have the power to help our economy, by shopping local and supporting our independant businesses and designers. I was sent the following interesting info and stats by my best friend today and thought I would share it with anyone interested. Okay, it's a little long, but hopefully you'll read it all the way through. Here it is:
1. You CAN keep dollars in our economyFor every $100 you spend at one of our local businesses, $68 will stay inthe community. What happens when you spend that same $100 at a nationalchain? Only $43 stays in the community.
2.You CAN embrace what makes us uniqueYou wouldn’t want your house to look like everyone else’s in the U.S. Sowhy would you want your community to look that way?
3. You CAN create local jobsLocal businesses are better at creating higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
4. You CAN help the environmentBuying from a local business conserves energy and resources in the form ofless fuel for transportation, less packaging, and products that you knoware safe and well made, because we stand behind them.
5. You CAN nurture your communityWe know you, and you know us. Studies have shown that local businessesdonate to community causes at more than twice the rate of chains.
6. You CAN conserve your tax dollarsShopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, lessmaintenance, and more money available to beautify our community. Also,spending locally instead of online ensures that your sales taxes arereinvested where they belong—right here in your community!
7. You CAN create more choiceWe pick the items we sell based on what we know you like and want. Localbusinesses carry a wider array of unique products because we buy for ourown individual market.
8.You CAN take advantage of our expertiseYou are our friends and neighbors, and we have a vested interest inknowing how to serve you. We’re passionate about what we do. Why not takeadvantage of it?
9. You CAN invest in entrepreneurshipCreativity and entrepreneurship are what the American economy is foundedupon. Nurturing local business ensures a strong community.
10.You CAN make us a destinationThe more interesting and unique we are as a community, the more we willattract new neighbors, visitors and guests. This benefits everyone!
Thanks for reading this and hopefully I'll see you at Patchwork or at The Kids....